Honey Chili Radishes
Makes 1 pint jar (this recipe can be multiplied or halved to make more or less jars)
• 2 bunches of radishes
In each jar:
• 1/4 tsp chili powder
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
For the brine:
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup honey ( we used Queen & Colony honey)
• 2 sticks of cinnamon
Instructions for canning (see below for Quick Fridge Pickle Recipe):
1. Fill your canner about 3/4 full of water and place it on the back of your stove. Allow it to come to a boil.
2. Wash your jars, lids and rings in hot soapy water by hand. Place lids and rings on a dish towel on your counter or table.
3. Mix all brine ingredients listed above into a non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil.
4. While waiting, prep radishes. Cut the tops and bottom roots off, and then thinly slice each radish. For a much faster process, we recommend using a mandolin.
5. Once brine comes to a boil, add the radishes, stir, and allow them to cook in the boiling brine for 5 minutes.
6. When done, place the canning funnel on your jar and use tongs to add radishes to the jar. Pack them very very tightly or they will shrink and float to the top. Once packed, ladle in brine leaving a 1 inch headspace. (1 inch headspace is the last line of the thread at the neck of the jar).
7. With a damp cloth or paper towel wipe the rim of each jar.
8. Add lids and rings to each jar, closing each finger tight. You don't have to crank it down hard, just snug.
9. Once your hot water bath canner is at a full rolling boil, using canning tongs add jars to the canning rack then submerge canning rack into the pot.
10. Check and make sure there is at least 2 inches of water over the tops of the jars and that the water is at a full rolling boil.
11. Put lid on and process jars for 10 minutes.
12. When your timer is up remove lid and using jar lifter take the jar out of the canner and place them onto the dish towel to cool overnight.
13. The next day check to make sure that the lids are sealed. Date jars and store in a cool dry place. If you have any lids that don't seal place in fridge for immediate use.
Quick Fridge Pickle Version:
Follow all instructions above from steps 2 to 8, then:
Allow to cool over night on the counter.
Refrigerate next day. Allow to cure in the fridge for 2-4 weeks for maximum spice diffusion.