There's nothing better than a meal that has that perfect blend of savory + a hint of sweet! We LOVE grilled cheese over here and try to make it a regular lunch occurrence. Today we're sharing our version of a caprese grilled cheese. We stopped by Mazzaros to get fresh mozzarella, because it's our favorite. If you haven't been to this landmark in St. Pete, we highly recommend you go!
To make it we slathered some pesto on top of one piece of bread and laid on fresh cut mozzarella on top. Then we spread the other piece with Smoked Tomato jam and a some spinach. Each gooey flavorful bite it full of fresh basil and garlic, smooth mozzarella, and smoky tangy, sweet jam. It's a total mid-week win in our books!
Grilled Cheese with Pesto, Mozzarella + Smoked Tomato Jam
Ingredients for 1 sandwich
- sourdough bread
- 2 TB Smoked Tomato Jam
- 2 TB pesto
- 3 or more slices of fresh cut mozzarella
- handful of spinach
- butter or olive oil
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on medium.
- Butter the outside pieces of sourdough bread.
- To build sandwich spread pesto on one slice and top with mozzarella. One the other slice spread Smoked Tomato Jam and top with spinach. Close sandwich up.
- Place bread butter side down onto cast iron skillet and cover. Cook about 5-8 minutes on each side, butter side down, checking often. Remember in between checks to cover back up! That helps the cheese to melt.