This week's #toasttuesday is of the savory variety! I have to be honest with you, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so for a while I struggled to eat breakfast beyond traditional eggs and bacon. I have since moved on to more creative concoctions like this earthy, healthy toast!
Sundays after I teach classes I prep a lot of the food I'll eat through out the week, so if you are the food prepping kind like me I suggest making the spinach and mashed chickpeas before hand so that are easily available to you each morning! Find the full recipe below!
To create 1 piece of toast you'll need:
- 1 slice of gluten free wheat bread
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 Tb mashed chickpeas
- 2 Tb sauteed spinach
- 1 Tb Ginger Spiced Beets
- 1 egg
- Everything Bagel spice blend from Trader Joes
- A cast iron skillet
- A sauce pan full of water
- 1 Tb Vinegar
To food prep mashed chickpeas you need:
- 1 Cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tb fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 Ts sea salt
- 1/4 Ts black pepper
To food prep sauteed spinach you need:
- 6 Cups of organic spinach
- 1/4 Cup of olive oil
- 1/2 Ts sea salt
- 1 Tb chopped garlic
- First, to prep the mashed chickpeas add all ingredients in a bowl and with a fork mash and stir it all together. Should make enough to last about 5 days.
- Second, to prep the spinach add the olive oil to your cast iron skillet on medium until fully warmed. Next add the spinach, salt and garlic. Sautee until fully cooked.
- Store spinach and mash in the fridge so it's ready to use each morning!
- Now to make the toast, add 1/4 cup of olive oil to the cast iron skillet on medium high.
- Next fill the sauce pan up with water and vinegar, bring to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to come up to a boil, fry both sides of the bread slice until toasted and brown. It takes me close to 5 minutes per side. (NOTE: If you are making more than 1 piece of toast you will need to keep adding 1/4 cup of olive oil in the pan before each slice of toast goes in). If you don't want to fry the bread you can also just toast it in an oven!
- After the bread is fried / toasted smear the chickpea mash all over it. Next layer the spinach, then the Spiced Ginger Beets.
- At this point your water should be boiling. With a spoon stir the boiling water clockwise for 10 turns, then crack open an egg into the center of the spinning water. Cook for 3 minutes. Once the timer goes off remove the egg with a slotted spoon and allow the water to evaporate from it.
- Top the toast with the egg, cut the egg in half and sprinkle with Everything Bagel spices!