Hand made whipped cream is basically the most delicious thing you'll ever taste in your life and I'm only being mildly dramatic. One of the things I didn't know until today (when I talked our lady Jamie into making some for us) is just how much better it is than pre-made whipped cream! Jamie only used a bowl and a whisk to whip it up and watching the cream transform was straight magic! It tastes oh so good with jam on top of french toast! French toast always seemed like something that required a lot of time to make, but we ended up frying up 5 pieces and whipped the cream all in about 10 minutes! Find the recipe below!
To create 1 piece of toast you'll need:
- 1 slice of multi-grain bread
- 1 egg
- 1.5 Tb Brown Sugar
- 1/8 Cup heavy cream
- 1/8 Ts Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Ts Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tb Strawberry Balsamic + Cracked Pepper Jam or Blueberry Lavender Vanilla
For the whipped cream you need:
- 3 Cups of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Ts Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
You'll need a whisk, a bowl and a cast iron skillet.
- First, to make the home made whipped cream all you need to do is add the heavy cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl and begin to whisk it aggressively! It takes about 10 minutes or so to whisk it into whipped cream! You can also use a hand held mixer or stand up mixer, but honestly just a whisk and a bowl and a little elbow grease will do! This recipe will make about a quart of whipped cream!
- Next preheat your cast iron skillet and make sure it's seasoned well. If not add a little bit of olive oil to it! Make sure it doesn't get too hot!
- In a mixing bowl add egg, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Whisk together!
- Next add the slice of bread and let it soak in the egg mixture.
- Add the eggy toast to your skillet and fry for about 3-5 minutes until each side is brown!
- Top with whipped cream and your choice of jam! We used Strawberry Balsamic + Cracked Pepper and Blueberry Lavender Vanilla!