FENNEL AND BLOOD ORANGE SLAW
Makes approximately 4 pints jars (this recipe can be multiplied or halved to make more or less jars)
• 4 fennel bulbs sliced with a mandolin (about 4-5 cups)
• 1 cup of blood orange segments
In each jar:
• 1 lemon round
• 1 tsp black peppercorns
For the brine:
• 2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tbsp pickling salt
Instructions for canning (see below for Quick Fridge Pickle Recipe):
1. Fill your canner about 3/4 full of water and place it on the back of your stove. Allow it to come to a boil.
2. Wash your jars, lids and rings in hot soapy water by hand. Place lids and rings on a dish towel on your counter or table.
3. Clean and prep the fennel and blood oranges. When we clean our vegetables, we let them soak in a vinegar bath of 1 gallon of water to 1 cup of white vinegar for 10 minutes. Then peel and separate you blood oranges making sure to cut the pith off. Slice all of your fennel with a mandolin slicer.
4. Mix all brine ingredients listed above into a non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil.
5. While waiting, add the lemon and pepper into each jar. Toss together the fennel and oranges in a bowl. Then pack in your slaw mix tightly but not so tight you squish the blood oranges.
6. Once brine comes to a boil take it off the stove and stir for a minute.
7. Place the canning funnel on your first jar and ladle in brine leaving a 1 inch headspace. (1 inch headspace is the last line of the thread at the neck of the jar). Fill all jars this way.
8. With a damp cloth or paper towel wipe the rim of each jar.
9. Add lids and rings to each jar, closing each finger tight. You don't have to crank it down hard, just snug.
10. Once your hot water bath canner is at a full rolling boil, using canning tongs add jars to the canning rack then submerge canning rack into the pot.
12. Check and make sure there is at least 2 inches of water over the tops of the jars and that the water is at a full rolling boil.
13. Put lid on and process jars for 10 minutes.
15. When your timer is up remove lid and using jar lifter take jars out of the canner and place them onto the dish towel to cool overnight.
16. The next day check to make sure that the lids are sealed. Date jars and store in a cool dry place. If you have any lids that don't seal place in fridge for immediate use.
Quick Fridge Pickle Version:
Follow all instructions above from steps 2 to 9, then:
Allow to cool over night on the counter.
Refrigerate next day. Allow to cure in the fridge for 2-4 weeks for maximum spice diffusion.