Ok, ok. Now I'm NOT a victim of celiac disease nor do I claim to be on the gluten intolerant train, but I do personally try to stick to a mostly vegetable and protein diet for many reasons. I'm just not a big fan of processed wheats! I don't even crave them really, which I guess I'm lucky for. Every now and again, however, I will get a taste for pasta or bread. This week was one of those weeks. I was strolling down the isles of our local Trader Joes and this black pasta caught my eye. It's made with black beans, but I must confess I solely bought it for the color. Black pasta is rad! So that's how this recipe started, what colors would look good in a black pasta dish? Green, red, purple? All of the above? Yup, so I came up with this pasta dish just for the color of it. Thankfully it tastes pretty good too!
To create the Spinach + Chili Fennel Brussels Pasta you'll need:
- 1 bag of Black Bean Pasta from Trader Joes
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1/4 cup of halved kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup of halved Chili Fennel Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 cup of chopped Sriracha Peppered Okra
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of brine from Chili Fennel Brussels Sprouts
- Chili flakes to taste
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta by following the directions on the bag.
- Saute red pepper strips with olive oil until softened.
- In a large bowl add pasta, red pepper strips, spinach, olives, brussels sprouts, okra, feta cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, brine, chili, salt and pepper.
- Toss together well!
- Can be enjoyed hot or cold!