Raise your hand if you like fried chicken!? I do. I can't eat it often, but damn is it good! And I'm not talking Publix or KFC, I'm talking hand made southern style fried chicken! To add flavor and juiciness to the chicken in this recipe I've marinated the chicken in left over pickle juice I had sitting in the fridge. I often times find myself left with tons of empty jars full of pickle juice and I'm always coming up with new ways to use it! In this recipe I used the brine from our Garlic Dill Habanero Cucumbers, so it leaves the chicken tender, garlicky and a little spicy from the habaneros!
To serve along side the fried chicken I threw together a classic coleslaw with a twist! I slivered some pickled okra, Sriracha Peppered Okra, and used the brine as the "vinegar" in my slaw dressing! Both were to die for and I can't wait to share the recipe with you!
To create the fried chicken you need:
- 6 Chicken drumsticks, thighs or you could even use tenderloins
- Left over pickle brine, about 2/3 cups, I used brine from our Garlic Dill Habanero Pickles
- 1 1/2 ts salt
- 3/4 ts cracked pepper
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 30 crackers, I used saltines
- 1/2 ts baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- Olive oil
- In a bowl place chicken and pickle brine. Cover and allow it to marinate over night in the fridge.
- In a dish or bowl place 1/2 cup of flour.
- In a second dish or bowl place 3/4 cup of flour, crackers (after breaking them into crumbs), baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a third dish add beaten eggs.
- Drain chicken from marinade.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in eggs, then dredge in the cracker mixture. Make sure to press the meat into the cracker mixture!
- Put a cast iron skillet on medium / high and fill with an inch of olive oil.
- Heat oil to between 330-360 degrees.
- Fry chicken for 4 minutes on each side. Turn and repeat until all sides are golden brown.
- Place on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes to drain oil and to allow it crunch up!
To create the pickled okra slaw you need:
- 1/2 Head of shredded cabbage (or one bag of pre mixed slaw)
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of shredded purple cabbage
- 1 jar of pickled okra, we used our Sriracha Peppered Okra
- 1/4 Cup of pickled okra brine, we used the brine from our Sriracha Peppered Okra
- 1 tb sugar
- 1/2 ts salt
- In a mixing bowl add cabbage and carrots and toss until mixed!
- In a seperate mixing bowl add sour cream, mayo, pickled okra brine, sugar and salt. Whisk together!
- Add dressing to the slaw and toss.