July in Florida is a very wet scorcher. We have thunderstorms every day mixed in with clear blue sunny skies and lethal humidity levels! I never want to eat anything heavy during these summer months and I end up coming up with dozens of salad recipes. This salad kind of came about when I had sweet potatoes and corn left over in the fridge! A hash of sorts! You can eat it cold, but also the recipe made enough that I had left overs, so every morning I've been warming it up in my cast iron skillet and throwing a sunny side up egg on top for breakfast!
To create the salad you need:
- 4 cooked sweet potatoes that have been cooled down
- 2 ears of cooked corn
- 1/2 bell pepper of any color, I used orange
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1 scallion diced
- Cilantro to taste
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tb Smoked Paprika Tomato Basil Jam
- I think everyone knows how to cook sweet potatoes, but I cooked mine with the skin on at 350 for an hour (after washing them and poking holes).
- With the corn I boiled the ears in water for 20 minutes.
- Both the corn and the sweet potatoes need to cool down so let them rest for at least 3/4 hours. Mine rested in the fridge as left overs for like 4 days (haha!).
- After they have cooled use a paring knife and cut kernels away from the ears of corn and place in a bowl.
- Remove skin from sweet potatoes, cut length wise, cube it and add it to the bowl as well.
- Next add the bell peppers, red onions and scallions to the bowl also.
- The amount of cilantro you want to add is up to you. I love the earthy green flavor so I added close to 1/4 cup of chopped leaves.
- In a separate bowl I added the olive oil, vinegar and Smoked Paprika Tomato Basil Jam, then I whisked it until it emulsified.
- Pour dressing over the salad and stir carefully so you don't mush the potatoes!
- Let it marinate for 24 hours in the fridge and then it's ready!